[Histonet] Xylene sensitivity

D'Attilio, Shelley SDattili <@t> stormontvail.org
Tue Sep 27 15:24:03 CDT 2011

Hi Sarah,
Thanks so much for the information.  We do have a small fume extractor next to our formalin containers in the Gross Room.  This might be worth a try for the coverslipper anyway.  I believe that the piece of equipment I am thinking of buying while we evaluate xylene replacements is a larger version of that type of device, so it might work quite well.

Thanks for taking the time to respond,
Shelley

-----Original Message-----
From: Sarah Holmes [mailto:sarah <@t> kidneybiopsy.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:22 PM
To: D'Attilio, Shelley
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Xylene sensitivity

Not fully understanding your setup, we have had great success with
inexpensive local fume extractors, like welders use, at our grossing and
coverslipping sites.  We still hand coverslip in front of a container of
xylene (holding roughly 400ml) and we set the fume extractor right behind it
to divert all fumes thru the charcoal filter.  The fan competes so strongly
with airflow that xylene (formalin) fumes are never in the breathing zone of
the worker, and they are run thru an activated charcoal filter which we
change every 3 months.

Available at technitool.com, item number 272SO350 is the extractor, 272SO352
are filters.

Hope this helps!