[Histonet] RE: xylene sensitivity

D'Attilio, Shelley SDattili <@t> stormontvail.org
Tue Sep 27 14:55:54 CDT 2011

Kathryn,
Thanks for the advice.  I will evaluate the installation of a hood.

Regards,
Shelley D'Attilio MT(ASCP)
Manager, Chemistry, Cytology and Histology
Dept. of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Stormont-Vail HealthCare
Topeka, Kansas

-----Original Message-----
From: Stoll, Kathryn [mailto:kstoll <@t> mcw.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:33 PM
To: D'Attilio, Shelley
Subject: xylene sensitivity

Shelley,

I also have the same xylene sensitivity.  In a previous job we coverslipped by hand.  I wore a N95 respirator mask when I was doing coverslipping.

We eventually moved to a new building and the coverslipping was done under a hood.  If you could get a hood over the coverslipper or keep it closed that really helps.  (The same can be said for the stainer)

-          It takes cooperation from the other people you work with to comply.

I would also suggest to have this person cutting as far away from the xylene sources as possible.

Definitely the less exposure the better.  That seems to work the best for me.  But keep a fair balance between all duties and have them wear a mask as needed.  It is better than coughing all day and night.

Good Luck.

Kathryn Stoll, HT(ASCP)

Depatment of Pathology

Medical College of Wisconsin

9200 W Wisconsin Ave

Milwaukee WI 53226

414.805.1525

kstoll <@t> mcw.edu

NEED A DOCTOR?  Stormont-Vail's Health Connections can help you find a doctor accepting new patients.  Call (785) 354-5225.

The information transmitted in this e-mail and in any replies and forwards are for the sole use of the above individual(s) or entities and may contain proprietary, privileged and/or highly confidential information.  Any unauthorized dissemination, review, distribution or copying of these communications is strictly prohibited.  If this e-mail has been transmitted to you in error, please notify and return the original message to the sender immediately at the above listed address.  Thank you for your cooperation.