[Histonet] Xylene/substitutes & Validation/verification

Stephanie Rodriguez srodriguez <@t> phenopath.com
Tue Sep 27 13:53:05 CDT 2011

Liz,

You are correct. If you bring in an FDA-approved test with NO
modifications, all that is required is verification; you simply have to
verify that the test works in your lab when you follow the recommended
procedure.  Validation, which is required for laboratory-developed tests
as well as laboratory-modified FDA-approved tests, is, indeed, a much
lengthier process.

Stephanie Rodriguez, HTL(ASCP), QIHC
Lead Molecular Technologist-FISH
IHC Technologist III
Phenopath Laboratories
Seattle, WA
(206) 374-9000

On 9/27/11 9:49 AM, "histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
<histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> wrote:

>Message: 8
>Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:32:07 -0600
>From: Elizabeth Chlipala <liz <@t> premierlab.com>
>Subject: RE: [Histonet] Xylene sensitivity
>To: 'Rene J Buesa' <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>, "Histonet Listserv (E-mail)"
>	<histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>, ShelleyD'Attilio
>	<SDattili <@t> stormontvail.org>, Loralee AMcMahon
>	<Loralee_Mcmahon <@t> URMC.Rochester.edu>
>
>Rene
>
>Rene
>
>Loralee is correct in some aspects and you have addressed this already
>with mentioning validation.  This basically has to do with the internal
>validation that is required when you bring these kits into the
>laboratory.  When you modify a 510K cleared kit or FDA approved kit it
>becomes a LDT or Laboratory Developed Test there is significant
>additional validation required because by changing the process you have
>essentially increased the risk.  Additional validation is required as
>defined by CLIA.  The manufacturer of the kit has gone through a process
>that essentially has decreased the laboratory risk when then get a kit
>FDA cleared or approved, if the lab chooses to modify this kit they
>essentially have increased their risk significantly and are required to
>do additional validation, more than would be required if you used the kit
>as recommended.
>
>I'm thinking that all that is required if you use a cleared or approved
>kit is verification and not validation, but I may be incorrect.
>Validation is a more intense process.  Patty from Phenopath or Beth
>Shepard from Ventana would be able to comment on this process also.
>
>Liz
>
>Elizabeth A. Chlipala, BS, HTL(ASCP)QIHC
>Manager
>Premier Laboratory, LLC
>PO Box 18592
>Boulder, CO 80308-1592
>(303) 682-3949 office
>(303) 682-9060 fax
>(303) 881-0763 cell
>www.premierlab.com
>
>Ship to address:
>
>1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
>Longmont, CO 80504

intended recipients and may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by e-mail and destroy all copies of the
original message, or you may call PhenoPath Laboratories, Seattle, WA U.S.A.
at (206) 374-9000.