[Histonet] Block age/labile epitopes

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 10:36:24 CDT 2011

Andrea:
Under separate cover I am sending an article I wrote on the subject of epitope oxidation including some  of theose easier to oxidize.
As to when a block is too old to be useless for IHC, that depends on the epitope and the way the blocks have been stored.
I have been able to use 25 years old blocks and  the only thing you have to do is to go deep into the block to reach an area where the epitopes have not been oxidized yet.
René J.

--- On Sat, 9/24/11, Andrea T. Hooper <andreahooper <@t> rocketmail.com> wrote:

From: Andrea T. Hooper <andreahooper <@t> rocketmail.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Block age/labile epitopes
To: "Histonet" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Saturday, September 24, 2011, 11:44 PM

Just curious as to at what shelf-life people consider their blocks too "old" to rely on for IHC data? Along those lines I am wondering about labile antigens ... does anyone know how fast epitopes may "disappear" from blocks and what are some good examples of labile epitopes/antigens? As usual any references or papers citations would be helpful.

Thank you!
Andrea Hooper