[Histonet] CAP GEN.41770 Glassware cleaning

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 15:59:07 CDT 2011

Using a pH meter requires that you add dist. water to the glass flask, swirl it around and "hope" that something will be "trapped" by that water that will give you an idea of the residual pH that may be in the glass.
Both things are quite improbable.
Instead of the pH meter or the paper indicator I always added to the water from the flask
few drops of bromothymol blue that would turn yellow at pH<7 and blue at pH>7
On the other hand if the glass is properly washed in distilled water you will never get a pH other than neutral.
René J.

--- On Wed, 9/14/11, Clare Thornton <CThornton <@t> dahlchase.com> wrote:

From: Clare Thornton <CThornton <@t> dahlchase.com>
Subject: [Histonet] CAP GEN.41770 Glassware cleaning
To: "'Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 4:07 PM

This checklist question has a sample procedure for how to check for residual detergent in glassware.  The procedure says to use a pH meter.  We've always used pH paper.  However, in reading their recommended procedure, you need to look for a change of greater than 0.2 pH units between source water and glassware pH.  Does anyone else use pH paper vs. a pH meter?  We only use our pH meter very infrequently and will calibrate it just prior to use.  If we use it for glassware cleaning, we'll have to calibrate more regularly, something I'd just as soon avoid if possible.  We've never had a problem with our glassware cleaning procedure with CAP in the past.  Any advice?

Clare J. Thornton, HTL(ASCP), QIHC
Assistant Histology Supervisor
Dahl-Chase Diagnostic Services
417 State Street, Suite 540