[Histonet] Floater Problem

Patrick Laurie foreightl <@t> gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 13:32:25 CDT 2011

We had a similar project.  I found that in my organization, floaters have 3
main sources and 1 or 2 occasional sources.  1.  Embedding forceps/forceps
warming wells, 2.  Grossing instruments and cutting boards and 3.  Dirty
waterbaths.  It is the first two that really cause problems, these are at
the same level as the tissue you are looking at, dirty waterbath floaters
can be discounted by recutting the block.  We have a system that records
when blocks are grossed, cut and embedded so we can usually tell which case
was the source of the floater.  I also got forceps without teeth for the
embedding station, and one of those microbiology inoculation loop
sterilizers. Our level of floaters has significantly decreased.

Good luck.

--
Patrick Laurie HT(ASCP)QIHC
CellNetix Pathology & Laboratories