[Histonet] Microm HM 560 vacutome for brain sections?

Bass, Caroline cebass <@t> buffalo.edu
Thu Oct 27 12:08:19 CDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing a cryostat. I will most likely section primarily rodent brains and I'm concerned about wrinkling. One rep suggested the vacutome system, which according to the literature "the patented vacutome stretches sections to eradicate artifacts".  I was also considering the cryojane system, which I have seen in action and think it would work well. Though I may also obtain mRNA from these sections and I wonder how the UV curing part of the system could affect things.

Does anyone have experience with the vacutome and can suggest whether this is a good way to go. Or is the Cryojane better? I'm also considering some used Leicas, from the 1800, 1850 and 1900. My needs are fairly minimal, it will get weekly and possibly daily use on occasion, but for the most part I don't need all of the bells and whistles, just something that can cut brain fairly well.

Thanks,

Caroline