[Histonet] ? on frozen tissue artifacts

Esparza, Sandra SEsparza <@t> seton.org
Fri Oct 21 15:07:21 CDT 2011

I have never put my muscles in a -20 we use -70 to -80 freezer and have
not had a problem with artifact.  Is your freezer frost free?

Sandra
Sandra Esparza HT(ASCP)QIHC
Lead Technologist
Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas
512-324-0000  x87061
sesparza <@t> seton.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
histopath101 <@t> gmail.com
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 8:44 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] ? on frozen tissue artifacts

I work in a reference lab and some of our frozen sections exhibit severe

freeze artifact (ice crystals). The client claims it's something we're
doing and we say they are not freezing them properly. We receive the
specimens on dry ice and store them in a -20C freezer until we section
them
(no more than 1-2 days later). We never allow the tissues to thaw. My
question: Can freeze artifact occur AFTER properly snap-freezing tissue
or
does this artifact ONLY occur during the initial preezing procedure?