[Histonet] Question about Leica TP1020 and its tissue basket holders

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 09:05:46 CST 2011

After repeating so many times the same sequence anybody can get confused, either you or your supervisor.
Forget about verbal/personal instructions and follow the manual. It was developed to obtain a perfect sequence always.
René J.

--- On Wed, 11/23/11, Jenny Vega <histotech411 <@t> gmail.com> wrote:

From: Jenny Vega <histotech411 <@t> gmail.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Question about Leica TP1020 and its tissue basket holders
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, November 23, 2011, 5:54 PM

Hello everyone. In my laboratory we have an old version of the Leica TP1020
tissue processor. My question is this. My supervisor told me that after the
machine finished processing the tissues on the next day, the tissue basket
was going to be in the last container which is going to be the second
container with paraffin wax. She told me that after removing the tissue
basket from the machine I had to rotate the tissue basket holder to it's
first station by pushing the the 'circle arrow' in the control panel which
is the first formalin container. In this machine the tissue basket holder
of both of the formalin containers are gray and the rest are black. (not
sure ALL of them are black but I know that the ones that are for the
paraffin containers are black).

I want to know if this is correct because when I go to the instruction
manuals and I go the "Removing the specimens" chapter it says

• Lift the carousel.
• Allow for the tissue basket to drain in that
position.
• Lift the tissue basket slightly with your hand
and pull it out of the basket holder in a horizontal
movement.
• Lower the carousel.

I got this manual online and its for the most recent Leica TP1020 machine
but it is still the same model. It doesnt says to rotate the tissue basket
holder to it's first station

When I put the tissue basket with new tissues I placed it in the first
station which is the first container of formalin, but what I don't remember
if  today I rotated the gray lid so it could be on top of the formalin
container. I think I did it in the morning but now I have my doubts. I have
always followed my supervisors instructions, what she told me makes sense
but I want to be sure if the processing cycle is going to be interrupted or
steps are going to be skipped if I don't return the "gray" tissue basket
holders to the formalin containers, and just leave it like the machine left
it after it finished the processing cycle. If you still placed the tissue
basket in the first formalin container would you still have issues or is
the machine going to follow the steps in order?

Thanks. I hope I do not sound confusing.