[Histonet] RE: help

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au
Tue Nov 15 19:01:28 CST 2011

If you are trying to detect small amounts of iron, then possibly post DAB (that's right same as used for IPX) might be useful.

Meguro R, Asano Y, Adagiri S, Li C, Iwatsuki H, Shoumura K (2007) "Nonheme-iron histochemistry for light and electron microscopy: a historical, theoretical and technical review" Arch Histol Cytol 70(1): 1-19.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Lydia Gunawan
Sent: Wednesday, 16 November 2011 9:01 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] help

Hi there, I am having trouble with Turnbull staining. Anybody can help me?
As I want to detect and quantify iron in the brain for Parkinson experiment, I am using mice(C57Bl6)  brain that were treated with MPTP injection.  So, I have been trying to stain those brain using paraffin section with Turnbull blue but I have no luck.
FYI, I have been using 7% of Potassium ferricyanide in 3% HCL and I incubated for 2 hours, 37'. I also did incubation in triton-x and H2O2 too but still not getting any iron on my sections. Could anyone help me to solve my problem? Thanks

Lydia Gunawan
Oxidation Biology Laboratory
Mental Health Research Institute
Melbourne Brain Centre
Corner Royal Pde and Genetics Lane
University of Melbourne, Level 4
Parkville, Vic 3010
email: lydia.gunawan <@t> unimelb.edu.au

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.