[Histonet] Whiskers

Adam Boanas a.boanas <@t> epistem.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 09:13:05 CST 2011

Hello,

I am currently sectioning individual rat whiskers and follicles and am having some trouble obtaining clean sections from within the centre of the whisker (and intact bulb) without the brittle hair falling out of the block or splintering. Does anyone know of a method that I could use to soften the keratin prior to embedding? I am thinking 10% Sodium Hydroxide or 5% Ammonium Hydroxide but do not really know about appropriate timings for such a small tissue.
Many thanks,
Adam

Adam Boanas
Senior Research Associate