[Histonet] Problems with Frozen tissues

Nicole Tatum nicole <@t> dlcjax.com
Tue Nov 1 13:47:08 CDT 2011

Igor,

I perform Mohs which is a frozen section procedure. There are a couple of
things that could help you. You do not have to leave the slides out to
airdry for an H&E only do this is a specfic procedure requires it. Do not
places slides strait into water. As Kim, stated some people use a fixative
prior to staining. I place slides into 95% alcohol and then they are
rinsed. The next thing to consider is how thick you are cutting the
tissue. It can be difficult to keep thick, fatty, or tissue with alot of
cartiladge on the slide. So cut as thin as possible. Ok next is the oct or
mounting media ur using. In between each section you should wipe the oct.
OCT is water solauble. If the tissue is placed over OCT on the slide it
will definitly wash off. So if you are trying to put multiple sctions on a
slide, Place enough room between them so the tissue is directly placed on
the clean surface of the charged slide, or wipe excess oct in between
sections. Last note. If you have automatic stainer and it has an aggitate
function.Turn it off. Stain the slides as gently as possible.

Hope this helps,
Nicole Tatum HT ASCP

 Ive never just air dried my frozen sections. always put them in a fixative