[Histonet] IHC pos. & neg. control question

Godfrey Guerzon gguerzon <@t> live.com
Tue May 24 23:12:37 CDT 2011

This is my understanding about this CAP checklist item -

CAP is looking for 2 types of negative controls:

1. Negative reagent control - this is satisfied by running a negative control slide from the same patient block through the whole process without the primary antibody.

2.  Negative tissue control - this is satisfied by running a slide of multi tissue control containing tissues that are positive for the primary antibody and tissues that are negative for the primary antibody.  The negative tissue on the multi tissue control will serve as the negative tissue control  for the specific antibody.  If you look at the positive control and the patient tissue only the areas that contain the target antigen will stain.  There are other elements in the tissue that are known negative (e.g. smooth muscle in the small blood vessels will not stain with CD3 - then the smooth muscle in either the positive control and the patient tissue would serve as an internal negative tissue control for CD3).  This negative result on the tissue elements that are expected not to stain with a specific antibody should be negative - hence - negative tissue control and should be noted in the documentation (preferably in the final report when commenting on the results of IHC stains).

At Emory, we just had our CAP inspection (we only had a couple of deficiencies - xylene monitoring in the IHC area,  Space and one corrected on site - labeling of chemicals without manufacturer's supplied expiration dates).  Prior to inspection, we got clarification from CAP on this checklist item.  CAP prefers the use of multi tissue control (containing both positive and negative tissue elements), however using negative tissue elements in the positive control and patient tissue are acceptable as negative tissue control for the specific antibody and it should be noted / documented accordingly.  We document the negative control in our final reports when commenting on the results of IHC stains.

This is my two cents contribution to the discussion.

Godfrey