[Histonet] Denatured Alcohol

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri May 20 08:09:15 CDT 2011

Q#1 - yes, it is still 200 proof
Q#2 - no it should be not considered as a controlled substance. If you still have to keep a log of its use = bureaucratic ignorance and lack of adaptability, like the case in the British army were the artillery kept in the personnel assigned to each movable gun 2 soldiers to "restrain" the horses that pulled the piece, even years after there were no more horses pulling the piece.
René J.

From: Joe Nocito <jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com>
To: Histonet <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:13 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Denatured Alcohol

Greetings and Salutations Histoland,
    I have a question about denatured alcohol. I work in a government facility and absolute alcohol (200 proof) is still considered a controlled substance. This requires a monthly inventory by someone from another department.  Years ago (ok many, many years ago) I remember that 200 proof had an IRS sticker covering the cap.
    The alcohol we have is "denatured alcohol, 200 proof",  which according to the MSDS is cut with kerosene. There is no IRS sticker on the bottles.
Question #1- If the alcohol is cut with something other than ethanol, ( which usually it's cut with methanol) is it still 200 proof?
Question #2-  If it is "denatured", it is considered not suitable for drinking. If the substance is not suitable for drinking, then why would it be considered a controlled substance?
See my dilemma? We would like to get it removed from our "controlled" substance list, but we need a reliable source. The company (whom shall remain nameless because of my past history of inflaming vendors) was useless. I don't think the government accepts Wikipedia as an authoritative source. Thanks

JTT