[Histonet] IHC pos. & neg. control question

Sebree Linda A LSebree <@t> uwhealth.org
Thu May 19 13:37:38 CDT 2011

I basically agree with you Glen.  I think some people are mixing up
Negative Reagent Controls (substituting negative serum, Ab diluent, etc.
for antibody) and Negative Tissue Controls (substituting a tissue known
to be negative for the antibody being run).  It CAN be confusing.

Linda A. Sebree
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Laboratory
DB1-223 VAH
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792
(608)265-6596

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Dawson,
Glen
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:32 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] IHC pos. & neg. control question

IMHO: Running any piece of tissue as a control that does not belong to
the patient being tested makes zero sense.  Because it would not be from
the patient tissue being tested, how do you know if it was handled the
same as the patient tissue?  For example:

1) Were they processed the same way?
2) Did the patient tissue dry out in the OR before it was delievered?
3) Was the patient tissue ever irradiated?
4) Does the patient tissue contain any of a number of substances that
could cause non-specific staining.
5) Was the patient abducted by aliens?

My point is that running a piece of tissue as a negative control that is
not even from the patient being tested throws all of the conditions that
the patient tissue was exposed to prior to and during processing out the
window.  This makes NO sense.

Glen Dawson  BS, HT(ASCP) & QIHC
IHC Manager
Milwaukee, WI