[Histonet] Re: Formalin fixed frozen sections

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> stowers.org
Wed May 18 15:51:53 CDT 2011

Peggy,

We fix ours prior to freezing and cryosectioning routinely. You can use 10% NBF (commercial prep) or you can make your own using paraformaldehyde, 4% in PBS buffer. After fixation, you will need to cryoprotect in sucrose/PBS. We fix, then rinse, and then place in 15% sucrose/PBS until the sample sinks. We then place it in 30% sucrose/PBS until the sample sinks. We will put it into a cryomold with OCT and let sit for some time, then a fresh change and snap freeze. The tissues section very well.

Good luck!

Teri