AW: [Histonet] nuclear bubbling

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Thu May 12 13:10:24 CDT 2011

http://decapoda.nhm.org/pdfs/1505/1505.pdf

Here you can find an assay about formalin fixation. On page 851 there is a
description of nuclear and cytoplasmic bubbling found few minutes after
addition of formaldehyd-solution to cultured cells.

My interpretation is, that too short fixation makes the bubbling visible in
the tissue slides. And that after adequate duration of fixation the bubbles
are gone somehow.

What do you think?

Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Johnson,
Nacaela
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 12. Mai 2011 18:51
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] nuclear bubbling

Has anyone one had problems with nuclear bubbling?  I have read about
two different causes.  (1) Formalin itself is known to cause the issue
and (2) heating the tissue at a high temp (70 degrees C or above) while
drying.  The latter is definitely not happening, but I do use formalin.
I am in the process of changing the type of formalin that is used during
collection.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?  Has this problem
occurred for any other reason than I have already pointed out?  It seems
to be worse in the surgical needle biopsies than in the bone marrow
biopsies.

Thanks,

Nacaela Johnson, B.S. HTL (ASCP)CM

Histotechnologist

KCCC Pathology

12000 110th St., Ste. 400

Overland Park, KS 66210

Office:  913-234-0576

Fax:  913-433-7639

Email:  Nacaela.Johnson <@t> USOncology.com

</pre>The contents of this electronic mail message and any attachments are
confidential, possibly privileged and intended for the addressee(s)
only.<br>Only the addressee(s) may read, disseminate, retain or otherwise
use this message. If received in error, please immediately inform the sender
and then delete this message without disclosing its contents to
anyone.</pre>