[Histonet] GFP labelled cells after decalcification...are they still labelled?

Adam . anonwums1 <@t> gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 12:49:27 CDT 2011

Hi James,

I do this all the time in mouse bones. I've found that EGFP is very robust,
and it can survive fixation with PFA and Zn buffered formalin, as well as
decalcification with EDTA or formic acid, followed by paraffin embedding.
However, the endogenous fluorescence is highly quenched by this process and
barely detectable over background if at all. In order to detect it post
embedding, I use the chicken anti-GFP polyclonal from Abcam, and a
fluorophore conjugated donkey anti-chicken IgY with very good results. If
you want endogenous fluorescence, you can fix the bones in 4% PFA and
decalcify using EDTA, and use frozen sections.

I hope this helps,
Adam