[Histonet] cryostat repair

Emily Sours talulahgosh <@t> gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 12:46:38 CDT 2011

Our cryostat (CM3050S) is making a terrible noise when the fan stops
running, yet I don't want to call Leica (the manufacturer) because they
charge more money than anyone could ever afford.  How would I go about
finding someone who could repair a cryostat in Pittsburgh? I don't think
it's the refrigeration that's broken, it sounds like something mechanical.
Any suggestions?
Has anyone ever tried to open the back of one to see if it's fixable? I'm no
mechanic, but I think I can spot a worn belt or loose screw.  I'm just not
sure I want to open it up myself.

Emily

It has become almost a cliche to remark that nobody boasts of ignorance of
literature, but it is socially acceptable to boast ignorance of science and
proudly claim incompetence in mathematics.
-Richard Dawkins