[Histonet] Re: Weigert's Iron Hematoxylin

Johnson, Nacaela Nacaela.Johnson <@t> USONCOLOGY.COM
Wed Mar 30 15:03:50 CDT 2011

Iron hematoxylin is more resistant to decolorization than aluminum
hematoxylin.  Since there are so many acid steps that follow the
hematoxylin, it is wise to use the Weigert's so you do not have to worry
about decolorizing the other tissue elements too far.  However, if you
optimize your stain to the use of the Gill's and the pathologists agree
that staining intensity is optimal then it should be fine.  I wouldn't
do it without optimizing first.  So overall, the two are not exactly
interchangeable since some of the subsequent staining steps may have to
be altered.

Thanks,

Nacaela Johnson, HTL (ASCP)
Histotechnologist