[Histonet] Florida Law Question - again

Jerry Santiago jsantiago <@t> bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 30 14:38:40 CDT 2011

Hi Michelle,

This issue has been discussed at the clinical board meeting and it has been said
that moving a carousel from one beaker to another is considered part of the
specimen processing steps, making it part of a licensed task. The histology
scope of practice includes as a licensed task specimen processing, see Rule
64B3-10.005 (11). This is the same issue with loading and unloading IHC
instruments.

The purpose of the specialty of histology is to process cellular and tissue
components through methods of fixation, dehydration, embedding, microtomy,
frozen sectioning, staining, and other related procedures and techniques
employed in the preparation of smears, slides, and tissues. This specialty also
encompasses methods for antigen detection and other molecular hybridization
testing methods where the purpose is analysis and/or quantification of cellular
and tissue components for interpretation by a qualified physician. Technicians
licensed in histology are limited to the performance of specimen processing,
embedding, cutting, routine and special histologic staining, frozen sectioning
and mounting of preparations under the general supervision of a director,
supervisor, or technologist.

Hope this helps!

Jerry Santiago, MSEd, HTL(ASCP)QIHC
Florida State College Jacksonville