[Histonet] Esophageal Brushings

Mahoney,Janice A Janice.Mahoney <@t> alegent.org
Wed Mar 30 08:47:34 CDT 2011

I would make smears and a cell block(if enough specimen) and charge 88104 and 88305.  Pap on the smear, H&E on the cell block.
Jan

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Mike Pence
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:19 PM
To: Cristi stephenson; Histo Net
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Esophageal Brushings

I would charge an 88104 also.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Cristi stephenson
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:10 PM
To: Histo Net
Subject: [Histonet] Esophageal Brushings

Hello Histoland,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a CPT code question?  I run a small
GI lab.  We have recently received esophageal brushings that were to rule out
cancer, not Candida.  The pathologist indicated these should be stained with the
Papinicalaou stain.  I was thinking per the archives, that this would be charged
as an 88313 (non-organism stain) as we charge an 88312 for the fungal stain.
However, the other facilities around my area say that it would be charged as an
88104.  Can onyone offer me some guidance?
Thank you all,
Cristi