[Histonet] Esophageal Brushings

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Tue Mar 29 16:18:39 CDT 2011

I would charge an 88104 also.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Cristi stephenson
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:10 PM
To: Histo Net
Subject: [Histonet] Esophageal Brushings

Hello Histoland,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a CPT code question?  I run a small
GI lab.  We have recently received esophageal brushings that were to rule out
cancer, not Candida.  The pathologist indicated these should be stained with the
Papinicalaou stain.  I was thinking per the archives, that this would be charged
as an 88313 (non-organism stain) as we charge an 88312 for the fungal stain.
However, the other facilities around my area say that it would be charged as an
88104.  Can onyone offer me some guidance?
Thank you all,
Cristi