[Histonet] Verhoeff/Masson's Stain

Bryan Llewellyn llewllew <@t> shaw.ca
Tue Mar 22 13:48:07 CDT 2011

Verhoeff's staining solution uses an iron mordasnt, which is an
oxidising agent, and iodine, another oxidising agent.  It is very easy
to overoxidise the hematoxylin, particularly if a stock alcoholic
solution is used.  I always used to preweigh 1 gram hematoxylin and keep
in test tubes, then add the required amount of ethanol at the time I
made the working solution.  Problems I had had with poor staining then
stopped.

Have you considered switching to an iron resorcin dye type method?  They
are progressive, much easier to control and work very consistently.
Their drawback is that making the solution is a nuisance and staining
often needs overnight. I liked Humberstone's variant (greeny blue black
elastic) as the solution is stable for several years and improves over
that time with shorter staining times.  Others like Miller's (black
elatic).  There are others as well.

Bryan Llewellyn