[Histonet] Verhoeff/Masson's Stain

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Tue Mar 22 13:04:31 CDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of John
Shelley
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:59 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Verhoeff/Masson's Stain

Hello Histonetters,

I have been asked to work on a project that will require me to do a
Verhoeff/Masson's stain. I have run some samples through the stain from
a protocol that I found on the archives and it is not working to my
satisfaction. I am not getting the nice elastin fibers to show black
like they should. I have looked at the slides just before going into 2%
ferric chloride and it appears to be dull or limited staining. I am
using a kit from PolyScientific and not sure if that might be my problem
or not. My question is, are there another people who are running this
special stain combo and would you be willing to share the procedure and
also who you are buying your reagents from to accomplish the staining. I
appreciate any help with this request. Thanks!!!

Kind Regards!

John J Shelley