[Histonet] CAP checklist, question ANP.23041.

Jesus Ellin JEllin <@t> yumaregional.org
Wed Mar 16 19:46:01 CDT 2011

Mark this is a new question and let me answer this for you from a
inspection point of view.  Currently there are 15 to 18 new questions
that deal with predicative markers and the digital images, most of these
are QA/QC related.  But the issue with images is that your people are
inspecting them.  When you are looking at an image it is more than just
click and go.  There are technical issues of Tiling, focus with z
stacking, AOI ( if the full image was captured), magnification, etc.
This is just technical to images, but then there are the aspects that
are to the histology world as in staining components, microtomy,
fixation, etc.  To say that they don't make a decision is a huge
understatement.  As far as I know CAP put this in because people were
just scanning images and sending them off.  There are also issues were
the scanner scans for possible algorithm studies.  You have to make sure
this is inline.  So as for the High complexity testing to what CLIA
defines, that is a back and forth issue.  Currently within our facility
you have to be licensed HT/HTL to do scanning.  This comes in line with
the CAP looking at creating a QM program and having the
technician/Technologist maintain competencies and assessments for this
technology.  There is also a competency and assessment due for the
pathologist as well for this technology.  I can go on and on, but you
can contact me off line for this.

Jesus Ellin
Yuma Regional Medical Center
928-336-1743