[Histonet] VALIDATION of a new clone

Vickroy, Jim Vickroy.Jim <@t> mhsil.com
Mon Mar 14 13:16:44 CDT 2011

I am wondering what others  are doing when they validate a new clone of a antibody that you have used in the lab for quite sometime.  When we introduce a new antibody obviously we go through a pretty extensive validation process including sampling of around 20 - 30 specimens, some presumed positive cases and some presumed negative cases.   We also try to include in the positive cases some that are strongly positive and others that are weakly positive.

Lately several of our regular antibodies are now no longer available in the same clone.  I am interested in how different labs would validate the new clone to be used in the lab.  It would seem to me that the validation process would not have to be as extensive since we have already established that the antibody works well in our laboratory.   I know if it was the same clone but a different lot we would just do a comparison of the old lot with the new lot, but what about a different clone?   I realize that the methods are going to be diverse but I would appreciate hearing from others.

James Vickroy BS, HT(ASCP)

Surgical  and Autopsy Pathology Technical Supervisor
Memorial Medical Center
217-788-4046

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.