[Histonet] Re: Sentinel Lymph Node Procedure

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 07:33:25 CST 2011

Allison Scott HT(ASCP), Histology Supervisor at LBJ Hospital in
Houston, Texas asks about sentinel lymph node procedures.

About a month ago an article appeared in the New England Journal of
Medicine suggesting that a single section of a lymph node block,
without immunostains, was sufficient for detecting clinically
significant metastases from breast cancers. (Note that the article
says nothing about melanoma.)

"Effect of Occult Metastases on Survival in Node-Negative Breast Cancer"
Donald L. Weaver, M.D., et al. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:412-421February 3, 2011

I can send you a PDF of this article if you'll e-mail me privately.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN
rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com