[Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per hour?

Marcum, Pamela A PAMarcum <@t> uams.edu
Tue Mar 1 14:00:21 CST 2011

I truly hope that was humor about oversupply.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jay Lundgren
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:35 PM
To: Mahoney,Janice A
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Jenny Vega
Subject: Re: [Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per hour?

  30 blocks/hour, including rough cutting, is the standard.  That's
supposing a few (5-10) levels, specials, etc.
If I am cutting all big tissue, what I've heard called "onesies" (just one
slide each), I can  cut 60 blocks/hour.
If one is cutting a tray full of persnickety prostate (with 6 levels on one
slide), renal, and bone marrow bxs with tons of specials and immunos, well,
that is going to slow you down.

  Anyway, I disagree with those who say speed isn't as important as quality,
patience, etc.  I think new histotechs should have someone with a stopwatch
and a clipboard standing behind them while they're cutting, yelling "Faster,
faster!!!!" in their ear.  If anyone cannot measure up to a strict quota
they should be immediately dismissed.  We have such a disgusting oversupply
of new Histotechnology students as it is. ;)

                                                            Jay A. Lundgren
M.S., HTL(ASCP)