[Histonet] need a counter stain for esterase and silver stained slides

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 14:12:43 CDT 2011

Why don't you try immersing the sections for 1-2 seconds in saturated aqueous picric acid?
René J.

--- On Wed, 6/22/11, Nicole Cosenza <ncosenza <@t> siumed.edu> wrote:

From: Nicole Cosenza <ncosenza <@t> siumed.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] need a counter stain for esterase and silver stained slides
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, June 22, 2011, 3:05 PM

I have recently stained some muscle tissue with bromoindigo and urea-silver to examine the neuromuscular junction.  The nerve axons and endplates stain quite well this way, but I'd like to add some color to the slide for picture-purposes. Is there a good counterstain (eosin, or Biebrich scarlet-acid fuchsin) I can dip the slides in to add color, WITHOUT taking away from the stain already present in the slides?