[Histonet] Retirement

O'Donnell, Bill billodonnell <@t> catholichealth.net
Fri Jun 17 13:19:47 CDT 2011

Well...... Maybe if the whole island paradise thing falls apart, NM
could be an option. I am getting too old to be too cold for too long.
(Nebraska)

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Breeden,
Sara
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 1:08 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Retirement

It seems that my reference to RETIREMENT has gotten everyone thinking
about it.  Heh...heh..  It has been suggested that I  reconnoiter in
advance of Those of You Who Won't Be Retiring Before I Do (February 29,
2012, if the creek don't rise...).  I would be happy to perform that
hazardous duty but I need more of those $5.00 donations coming in for
whatever it was that I posted last week (I hope my gray cells will
rejuvenate when I retire).  I won't need the money for travel because I
think I'm right where I need to be.  Have any of you thought about New
Mexico???  Just within the past year, it has occurred to me many times
why this is such a good choice for retirement.  We do not have
hurricanes, we do not have tornados (okay, maybe rarely), we are not
prone to earthquakes, the weather is jolly darn good 90% of the time
(spring is out - way too windy) and we don't have more than a couple or
four inches of snow in the winter.  We don't start our furnace/heater
until November and it's only in use until maybe early April.  The air
conditioner was just put to use two weeks ago and we won't need it past
the first part of September.  Low cost of living, lots of homes
(reasonably priced - info upon request) for sale and the number of
things one can do in New Mexico are practically endless.  We have
everything but a beach (and if California keeps shaking, we might have
beachfront property - not that I'd wish that on California...).  We have
skiing, a big lake (fondly called Elephant Butt [Butte]) for water
activities, stream, river and lake fishing out the kazoo, mountains to
climb, white sands in which to wallow, beautiful sunsets and terrible
drivers.  Oops - that one slipped out!  The margarita (and Bud Light)
are the State Drinks (if one is so inclined) and this is the Land of
Manana (read it like Spanish).  Manana is way much better than "I needed
that right this very minute and no excuses"!  Shaded patios, cool
evening breezes and gorgeous cool summer mornings (at least until 7:00
a.m.).  Besides, I need a replacement beginning March 1, 2012.  Brand
new lab, tech-designed, bright and LEED, tons of space, a separate
storage room for blocks and slides AND a volatile storage room with two
acid cabinets and two xylene/alcohol cabinets and a salary (that's
another subject, I do work for a State...).  Can't have everything, but
this is darned close.

And I do not work for the Chamber of Commerce!

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

New Mexico Department of Agriculture

Veterinary Diagnostic Services

1101 Camino de Salud NE