[Histonet] alcian blue 2.5 and derm specimens

faith14913 <@t> aol.com faith14913 <@t> aol.com
Mon Jun 6 19:02:08 CDT 2011

We are having a problem with our alcian blue pH2.5 stain.  It is taining the collagen really dark and the mucin really light.  My boss just handed me this assignment today and told me to find out what is wrong with it, however I am not very familiar with this stain.  He suggested I remake all solutions fresh and try a known positive control, but I just wanted to check and see what "histoland" thought.

Also for derms, the epidermis on all of our squares and incisions are rolling up on the tissue during processing.  It happens when we use the VIP and the Pathos (microwave) processors.  I however have never done derms before this job so am also not very familiar with it....any help???  Thanks!