[Histonet] Slide Bright Question

sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com
Fri Jun 3 13:28:37 CDT 2011

Ahhh!!!  I had this same problem when I came to this lab too!!  Plus if
you put that xylene substitute crap (mine was clear rite) it screws up
cell blocks that have been embedded into agar!!  5 experiments had to be
repeated because of this stuff!!  The eosin bleed is because you got
water on the slides after the eosin.  With xylene you can see the water
pool at the bottom, but with these substitutes it just kind of becomes
part of the solution.  I have finally gone back to xylene!  We had to
buy hoods, but it's the cost of better histology =)

Fixing the eosin bleed...uncoverslip, run through xylene (or let sit in
the substitute for 15 or 20 minutes, then alcohols, then in running
water for 10 minutes or so.  Then change all your alcohols to fresh
solutions (I would change the substitutes too), then from water to
alcohol, eosin, etc. etc. and they should be fine.

Good luck!!  I wanted to pull my hair out a couple months ago because of
that stuff...run away from it!!!

Sarah Goebel-Dysart, BA, HT(ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Mirna Therapeutics