[Histonet] Alternatives to Cytospin?

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Thu Jun 2 19:41:23 CDT 2011

Jerry,

Firstly, I would not recommend fixing in ethanol since cells will shrink and Romanowsky staining will be compromised (the cells stain too darkly since they are smaller).

I would use a centrifuge to concentrate the cells and smear like a blood film or if you do not have a centrifuge available, place a drop of the BALF on the slide and either air dry as you suggested (if cell count is low) or treat it like blood (if it looks quite opaque - lots of cells/ & other junk).

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of JR R
Sent: Friday, 3 June 2011 9:54 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Alternatives to Cytospin?

I will be collecting bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) from mice and want to do do a diff-quick stain on the fluid to characterize the leukocyte population.

My colleagues usually use a cytospin to concentrate cells onto a slide but I'll be at a lab that doesn't have the equipment so I'm looking for alternatives.

Could I just put a drop of the BALF onto a charged slide and air dry it?  Or treat the BALF like a blood smear?

Alternatively, could I fix the cells in...ethanol maybe and then cytospin them the next day when I get back to my lab?

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Jerry Ricks
Research Scientist
University of Washington
Department of Pathology

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.