[Histonet] blurry tissue

DKBoyd <@t> chs.net DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Tue Jul 26 08:31:49 CDT 2011

Are you using recycled alcohols?   Check your concentrations.  Could your
cassettes be "floating up" during processing?  It is possible they have
air bubbles trapped in the cassette and aren't properly dehydrated.  Check
and change your staining alcohols and clearants to make sure there isn't
water from humidity or carry over.
It has always been my experience that recycled dehydrants/clearants are
the culprit.  But, that being said, we have on occasions had an errant
cassettes to float up during processing.

Debbie M. Boyd, HT(ASCP) l Chief Histologist l Southside Regional Medical
Center I
200 Medical Park Boulevard l Petersburg, Va.  23805 l T: 804-765-5050 l F:
804-765-5582 l dkboyd <@t> chs.net

Carol Bryant <cbrya <@t> lexclin.com>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
07/25/2011 01:42 PM

"histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
cc

Subject
[Histonet] blurry tissue

I would like some thoughts on how to resolve some "blurry" looking tissue.
 We have had occasional tissue that looks blurry and not crisp for several
weeks now.  It is not all the cases only random tissues.  The tissue is
not on the same tissue processor either. We have 2 processors.  The latest
cases were a breast, some skins, and a prostate.  I am not certain if this
is happening on the tissue processor or in the stainer.  It has been very
humid in our lab so I have started running a dehumidifier in case there is
water in the xylene.  It is so hit and miss that I am puzzled.   Any
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Carol Bryant, CT (ASCP)
Cytology/Histology Manager
Pathology Services
Lexington Clinic
Phone (859) 258-4082
Fax (859) 258-4081
cbrya <@t> lexclin.com

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY

This message, including any attachments, is intended only for the sole use
of the addressee and may contain confidential or privileged information
that is protected by the State of Kentucky and/or Federal regulations.  If
you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy, retain or
disseminate this message or any attachment. If you have received this
message in error, please call the sender immediately at (859)258-4000 and
delete all copies of this message and any attachment. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure, copying or distribution is strictly prohibited.
Neither the transmission of this message or any attachment, nor any error
in transmission or misdelivery shall constitute waiver of any applicable
legal privilege.