[Histonet] IHC for H. pylori

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Wed Jul 13 13:37:50 CDT 2011

We only run IHC for H. pylori when the appropriate inflammatory background is present or when the patient has tested positive in the past and we receive a follow-up gastric specimen where bugs are not identified on H&E.

Running H. pylori IHC on every gastric biopsy is uncalled for and borders on "Fraud and Abuse".

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596 Office
(860) 545-2204 Fax

>>> Joanne Clark <jclark <@t> pcnm.com> 7/13/2011 2:22 PM >>>
Hi All, was wondering how everyone does their IHC for H. pylori.  Do you automatically run it on all biopsies of the stomach, or do you screen first with a giemsa and run IHC on the ones that are negative by giemsa?  Thanks for the input!

Joanne Clark, HT
Histology Supervisor
Pathology Consultants of New Mexico