[Histonet] RE: Tissue Cassette Printer Recommendations

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Jul 7 12:36:13 CDT 2011

I agree with the previous comments and we are in the process of installing Vantage. During our testing we found that Ventana will work with any vendor, the key issue is interfacing to your LIS.  As part of the process, we tested several vendor cassette printers. We chose Thermo's new Printmate 150 for a combination of reasons that worked for our process; tape transfer, speed of print, footprint (using at the grossing station) and quality of print (2D and Linear).

Thermo has a 2 hopper and 6 hopper Printmate, heat transfer and prints cassettes with 2D bar code in about 8 sec
General Data sells the the 1 hopper CL-01 and 12 hopper CL-12. Laser process that requires a special coated cassette that allows the Laser to etch. Prints in about 4 sec
Leica sells the CL-01 and their older model IPC, inkjet and special treatment of print.
Sakura sells a similar model of the Leica IPC

Consider using "light" colored cassettes. The darker and red colored are more difficult to get the hand help bar code readers to recognize (red laser).

Contact the vendors and I am sure they will be glad to let you demo their instrument for several days. Test them all and decide what works best in your workflow and process.

William DeSalvo, B.S., HTL(ASCP)