[Histonet] Vasculature in tumors - long response

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Tue Jul 5 12:10:02 CDT 2011

Hello all

I have been following this discussion and I'm going to put in my 2 cents.  Tumor vasculature has traditionally been measured with IHC and CD31 or possibly another IHC marker.

We use CD31 here for mouse xenograft samples.  We have several antibodies we use and it is dependent upon the species.  Human tumors (not xenografts) are stained with CD31 but a different antibody (Dako) than the mouse xenografts (Dianova).  For other species, canine, porcine, etc we use factor VIII.  Factor VIII is not the best marker since it may not pick up fine capillaries but we have been unsuccessful in getting a CD31 to work in FFPE tissue for those species and we have tried several antibodies.  The dako antibody will also work on rabbit samples.  I can't remember off the top of my head on what we use for rat but it may be Factor VIII.

I believe that a large number of publications in which tumor vasculature is measured CD31 has been used.  I do not believe that any special stain will provide you with the information that is needed for this type of staining and analysis, especially if you are going to publish the results.

The IHC stain for CD31 (for mouse xenograft samples) had been tricky in the past since most antibodies that stain mouse endothelial cells only worked in frozen sections or zinc fixed (not zinc formalin) paraffin embedded samples.  Santa Cruz did have a goat polyclonal antibody that did work on FFPE samples for a period of time, early 2000's, but that antibody no longer works in FFPE samples (only frozen, something about the goat dying and the new lots of antisera did not work in FFPE tissues).  If you are staining mouse xenograft samples then the Dianova antibody would be the best one to use in my opinion.  I need to state that we have not used or even tried VE Cadherin or other IHC markers for vessels, so I really can't comment on those, they may work very well.

We use CD31 since we are also running analysis and in order to do that you need a very clean stain and we can achieve that with the Dianova antibody, prior to the Dianova antibody we had used the santa cruz antibody (we had the particular lot number that worked in FFPE tissues, which also worked in multiple species, I do miss that antibody).

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592