[Histonet] Dog Cartilage Safranin-O Stain

Michelle Aono aonomic <@t> auburn.edu
Mon Jan 31 11:26:01 CST 2011

I am staining the joints of multiple species with Safranin-O/Fast
Green/Hematoxylin and consistently see a much weaker stain with the
SO/FG in dog cartilage.  At first I thought it had to do with the
thickness of the sections, but even as 6u it's still very light.  I'm
staining it at the same time as the other species so it's not variations
in staining time, solution age, etc...

Has anyone else seen this effect?
Any ideas on how to fix this and why this is?
Species proteoglycan compositional differences?

Thanks!

Histology Newbie,
:) Shelly

Michelle (Shelly) Aono