[Histonet] re: fixation question for IHC (Jan Berry)

Jean-Martin Lapointe jm.lapointe <@t> accellab.com
Fri Jan 28 14:17:22 CST 2011

I think it is a very small minority of markers that would be sensitive to the methanol residues present  in formalin. So it depends on what you plan on staining. For general purposes, I would always go with formalin, unless there is a proven need for formaldehyde.

__________________________________
Jean-Martin Lapointe, DMV, MS, dACVP
Vice-President, Pathologie
AccelLAB Inc
1635 Lionel-Bertrand, Boisbriand
Québec, Canada  J7H 1N8
tel:  450-435-9482 ext.247
fax: 450-435-4795
jm.lapointe <@t> accellab.com

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:15:19 -0500
From: Jan Berry <jeberry <@t> umich.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] fixation question for IHC
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

Is there a difference between using paraformaldehyde and neutral buffered formalin when choosing a fixative for IHC?  I would prefer to use formalin because of easier preparation, but am willing to put in the extra time to make fresh paraformaldehyde solution if there is a compelling reason.

Jan Berry
University of Michigan