[Histonet] RE: Bacterial contamination

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Thu Jan 27 15:47:03 CST 2011

Sally,

It is possible that the bugs are coming from the sectioning water bath. We found that if sections for microbiological staining were cut late in the day, the critters appeared over the slide (not up near the slide label). The controls, which were cut as a batch early morning did not contain the bugs.

The water bath, with extraneous nutrients from the sections, sit around ay 37oC or more and the bugs love it. Try taking a sample to your cytology dept and ask them to do a cytocentrifuge preparation (air-dried, giemsa (or similar) stained) and have a look.

We try and cut the sections for Gram, ZN and Fungi staining first thing in the morning to alleviate the problem.

Only a thought!

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Breeden, Sara
Sent: Friday, 28 January 2011 5:39 AM
To: Histonet
Cc: Ragsdale, John
Subject: [Histonet] Bacterial contamination

My pathologist tells me I have floating bacteria in both special stains I did this morning (GMS and Gram); some slides have these floating
critters and some don't.   Because the only common solutions are those
for processing and deparaffinization and because these bacteria appear to be floating above the plane of the tissue - I can't figure out where
to start looking.   My DI water is from a central source and is
routinely quality-checked, and this is a new building (Sep. 2010)  I don't want to blame that. Knowing full well that I am probably overlooking the obvious, I'm asking for help figuring this out.  I need a Sputnik Moment.  Thanks!

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

New Mexico Department of Agriculture

Veterinary Diagnostic Services

1101 Camino de Salud NE

Albuquerque, NM  87102

505-383-9278 (Histology Lab)

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.