[Histonet] RE: Rat Skin

Victoria Baker bakevictoria <@t> gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 12:18:07 CST 2011

Hi

What Dolores has said is correct.  Zinc formalin is a good fixative for
skin.  Rodent skin has additional difficulties because of the fur and the
keratin involved with the follicles/hair.  The tissue sections should not be
more than 3 -4 mm in thickness.  Also having that  large a piece of tissue
in a cassette (length) can also contribute to some problems - not just with
fixation but with how it is placed in the cassette for processing, then
embedding and I'm sure with cutting.  My experments with rodent (rat &
mouse) had all fixation done off of the processor, on a shaker (belly dancer
platform) for twenty four hours.  Tissue was then washed in running tap
water for thirty minutes and then placed in 70% ethanol for processing.  The
ratio of solution/tissue was 20X.  No fixation was done on the processor as
it would interfere with our other protocols.  The actual processing time was
10.5 hours.  I started with 70%, 80%, 2 - 95%, 2 - abs. etoh, 50/50 -
abs/xylene, 2 - xylene and 4- changes paraffin.  I was using an older Tissue
tec processor with heat for reagents at 37 degrees C w/ vacuum and
pressure.  Watch your temperatures on the processor because if reagents
become too hot it will dry out and damage the tissue.  Paraffin was set at
65 degrees C using paraplast 2 also using vacuum and pressure.

Not knowing what your protocol may be sort of leaves me giving you only
generalities, if there is anything that I can assist you with further let me
know.

Good luck.

Vikki