[Histonet] Microwave oven

traczyk7 <@t> aol.com traczyk7 <@t> aol.com
Wed Jan 19 23:10:03 CST 2011

Amos,
I think you have a few misconceptions about microwave technology.  Lumping laboratory grade units in with household appliances is (in my opinion) unfair.  Temperature control is essential and there are microwave processors available that do it quite well.  Also, how in the world can all of the buffer solution "boil out" of a close container?  Have you looked at the modules provided by Milestone or Hacker?  They all have lids!
Check out the mw credentials of a company in North Carolina called CEM.  Their research and manufacturing in the field of microwave technology is some of the best in the world.
There are always pros & cons to be considered when making equipment purchases but I believe the large net you cast damning microwave technology is short sighted.
Anyone else agree?
Dorothy

Dorothy Traczyk
MTA Histology LLC
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742

-----Original Message-----
From: Amos Brooks <amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com>
To: casperhempel <casperhempel <@t> gmail.com>; histonet <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Wed, Jan 19, 2011 6:34 pm
Subject: [Histonet] Microwave oven

Hi,
    Please don't! Microwaves are horrible for HIER. For retrieval purposes,
ou need to get the buffer temperature up to a point and keep it there for a
ength of time without the solution boiling over and leaving you with
nhappy dry sections. Microwaves heat unevenly really fast then boil over.
he solution to this is to nuke it then cool it then nuke it again repeating
ntil you figure it is done. Lab grade microwaves do the same thing under a
it tighter control. This results in a wave of temperature fluctuation which
s anything but standardizable (if that's a word).
    You would be much better off getting a vegetable steamer on the cheap
ide, or a standard laboratory waterbath on the expensive side. These both
an allow a direct monitoring of temperature throughout the retrieval
rocess. Pressure cookers are viable options as they don't allow the buffers
o boil over. Biocare Medical has a decent one as well as temperature strips
hat allow you to know if the temperature got to a certain point and didn't
xceed another. Honestly with all CAP's nonsensical prattle about
tandardisation in labs I can't understand how they allow these
onstrosities in modern medical care.
Message: 4
ate: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 21:59:40 +0100
rom: Casper Hempel <casperhempel <@t> gmail.com>
ubject: [Histonet] Microwave oven
o: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
essage-ID:
      <AANLkTik3+
uZ4RF7NyjQqYKCXys60CAnEwhDrfvL=juJ <@t> mail.gmail.com>
ontent-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Dear Histonetters
e are about to purchase a new microwave oven in our lab for HIER of FFPE
issue. Do you have any recommendations? I'm only aware of EMS that sells an
ven with temperature control. Any suggestions are welcome
heers
asper