[Histonet] Service

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 09:03:39 CST 2011

Being from a large large with multiple instrument types and multiple units of many instruments, I find it is worth asking the manufacturer to train your on-site BioMed personnel. Repairing and maintaining Microtomes can be successfully accomplished by properly trained individuals, manufacturer, contract or on-site. You can also seek an independent contractor, but be careful when choosing. Make sure small companies do not have to large territory or are sub-contracted to the major manufacturers as this can cause friction and create turn around time issues to get your instrument fixed. Independent contractors do a great job, just make sure you are getting the service you need.

When considering having your BioMed trained, a key factor in this process is to have your BioMed department receive the same training the manufacturer provides to their own and contract service personnel. Depending on your relationship with the manufacturer, BioMed training can be negotiated and there is a wide range for the cost. The key point is you develop a different relationship with the manufacturer that is more of a partnership. We have been successful with BioMed being trained for microtomes, microscopes, conventional tissues processors and H&E stainer/coverslip instruments. I do not suggest this type of service for instruments that are more complex and use a specific reagent set to operate. Once you get into that complexity, there are to many variables to consider to maintain proper performance and I believe the manufacturer is best at this level. When utilizing on-site and properly trained BioMed, down time is greatly reduced, cost of parts are nominal and ordered as needed and your total service cost can be reduced.

William DeSalvo, B.S., HTL(ASCP)