[Histonet] Inconsistent immuno staining

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Thu Jan 13 15:51:55 CST 2011

Ann,

I assume you are demonstrating mast cells. Mast cells are very small cells and on sectioning it is easy to only have less than half a mast cell in your sections, where as you will find whole mast cells close by.
This difference will mirror your staining: strong staining in the whole cells, weaker staining in the sectioned cells. You will see the same occurring with the mast cell metachromatic stains (toluidine blue or Giemsa), strong and weaker staining depending on whether you have whole or sectioned cells.

Does this help?

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Ann Bennett
Sent: Thursday, 13 January 2011 10:37 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Inconsistent immuno staining

Hello Histonetters,

While trying to eliminate any variables - processing times, embedding paraffin, waterbath temperature, time and temp in oven, deparaffinization, antigen retrieval, antibody manufacturer and lot # - I still seem to have a slight inconsistency with 1 of my immuno stains.

Mast Cell Tryptase staining for colon biopsies.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or ideas as to why this might be occuring?

Even within my current control slides I see a nice distinct brown or a slightly more pale stain.

I would love to hear your ideas.

Thank you!

Ann.BennettAnn

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.