[Histonet] Thyroid Smears

DKBoyd <@t> chs.net DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Wed Jan 12 09:00:02 CST 2011

Our procedure is as such:  The FNA of the thyroid is place in 5mls of
plasmalyte ( an electrolyte solution).  We lyse the red blood cells and
make cytospins.

Debbie M. Boyd, HT(ASCP) l Chief Histologist l Southside Regional Medical
Center I
200 Medical Park Boulevard l Petersburg, Va.  23805 l T: 804-765-5050 l F:
804-765-5582 l dkboyd <@t> chs.net

Fawn Bomar <Fawn.Bomar <@t> HalifaxRegional.com>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
01/12/2011 09:37 AM

"histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
cc

Subject
[Histonet] Thyroid Smears

Hello Everyone!

Happy New Years to all!  I have a question regarding the preparation of
thyroid smears.  As of right now, we go up to the room and collect the
thyroid sample.  The Pathologist makes the smears in the room and
immediately puts them into 95% Isopropanol to fix.  We then complete the
stain later on in the day.  The problem that we are encountering is that
all of the blood and cells are coming off of the slides before we make it
through the entire stain.  Does anyone have any suggestions or are willing
to share the procedure that they use?  We had a couple of suggestions that
we recommended to the Doctor but they were dismissed. I don't want to tell
what are suggestions were so that the doctor cannot accuse us of
influencing every one else's opinions.

Thank you in advance,
Fawn
This electronic message may contain information that is
confidential or legally privileged.  It is intended only
for the use of the individual(s) and entity named as recipients
in the message.

If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please
notify the sender immediately and delete the material from any
computer. Do not deliver, distribute, or copy this message, and
do not disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on
the information it contains.

Thank you