[Histonet] Thyroid Smears

sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com
Wed Jan 12 08:50:13 CST 2011

We always used 95% alcohol to fix, but you're right the blood usually
comes off.  Air dry then diff quik (or giemsa) stain works better for a
hema-pathologic stain.  You could try Pen Fix (or an alcoholic formalin)
and this might help as opposed to the 95%.  Why does the pathologist
need to see blood cells in a thyroid asp.?
Just my 2 cents =)

Sarah Goebel, BA, HT(ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Mirna Therapeutics
2150 Woodward Street
Suite 100
Austin, Texas  78744
(512)901-0900 ext. 6912

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Fawn
Bomar
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:33 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Thyroid Smears

Hello Everyone!

Happy New Years to all!  I have a question regarding the preparation of
thyroid smears.  As of right now, we go up to the room and collect the
thyroid sample.  The Pathologist makes the smears in the room and
immediately puts them into 95% Isopropanol to fix.  We then complete the
stain later on in the day.  The problem that we are encountering is that
all of the blood and cells are coming off of the slides before we make
it through the entire stain.  Does anyone have any suggestions or are
willing to share the procedure that they use?  We had a couple of
suggestions that we recommended to the Doctor but they were dismissed. I
don't want to tell what are suggestions were so that the doctor cannot
accuse us of influencing every one else's opinions.

Thank you in advance,
Fawn
This electronic message may contain information that is
confidential or legally privileged.  It is intended only
for the use of the individual(s) and entity named as recipients
in the message.

If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please
notify the sender immediately and delete the material from any
computer. Do not deliver, distribute, or copy this message, and
do not disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on
the information it contains.

Thank you