[Histonet] RE: Manual Coverslipping Safety Issues

Martha Ward mward <@t> wfubmc.edu
Tue Jan 4 11:33:43 CST 2011

Yes we actually used the exposure to xylene to justify the purchase of a coverslipper in our lab.  Ventilation in our lab is very poor to non-existent and we were successful in our push for the coverslipper.  I also had an employee who was having difficulties with the fumes, etc. It has made a world of difference.
Good luck!

Martha Ward, MT (ASCP) QIHC
Assistant Manager
Molecular Diagnostics Lab
Dept. of Pathology
Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center
Winston-Salem, NC 27157
336-716-2104

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gagnon, Eric
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:24 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Manual Coverslipping Safety Issues

Has anyone successfully lobbied their institution for an automated coverslipper for safety reasons?

Still coverslipping manually-stained IHC, neuro autopsy and special stains, sometimes hundreds per day. There has to be a better way.  Under budget constraints. That's why I'm wondering if anyone has used concerns about histology staff safety, specifically techs under direct exposure to toluene/xylene, to enable purchase of an automated/robot coverslipper.

I'd be interested in anyone's experience with this approach, successfully or unsuccessfully.

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital
Kingston, Ontario, Canada