[Histonet] IHC Equipment

Sheila Fonner sfonner <@t> labpath.com
Fri Feb 25 09:19:56 CST 2011

Sorry if I confused anyone.  It may have been FISH that we couldn't do on
the Leica instrument.  There was some reason that the docs chose to go with
the Ventana.  Anyway, I'm sure they are both fine instruments!

Sheila

From: Greg Dobbin [mailto:gvdobbin <@t> ihis.org]
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 9:31 AM
To: Sheila Fonner; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; 'Cynthia Pyse'
Subject: RE: [Histonet] IHC Equipment

The Bond does do ISH. In fact it utilizes the same detection kit so you have
only to buy the probes, not the additional detection kit that could
(depending on your volume of ISH requests) expire.

Greg

Greg Dobbin, R.T.
Chief Technologist, Anatomic Pathology
Dept. of Laboratory Medicine,
Queen Elizabeth Hospital,
P.O. Box 6600
Charlottetown, PE    C1A 8T5
Phone: (902) 894-2337
Fax: (902) 894-2385

"I find that the harder I work, the
more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson

>>> "Sheila Fonner" <sfonner <@t> labpath.com> 2/25/2011 10:20 AM >>>
Cindy,

We used to use the Dako stainer, and we still have it as a back-up if
necessary, but we have recently (in the last year) bought a Ventana Ultra.
You can put 30 slides at a time on it, but you do not have to batch the
slides.  It is a continuous feed machine, which means that as soon as a
slide is done, you can take it off and run something else.  You do not have
to have all of the slides from a case together side by side.  It is bar-code
driven and will find the slides no matter where you put them.  Each slide
drawer runs independently of the others.  Ours has been wonderful.  The
technical assistance is fantastic also.  They will help you to initially
work up all of your antibodies.  You can use theirs, or you can use third
party antibodies and place them in a prep-kit.  You can also use RTU or
concentrates.  It's really up to you.  I would highly recommend it if you
have a large volume.  We demo'd the Biocare Intellipath also.  I liked the
machine, but it was really just a step up from the Dako.  Leica has the Bond
instruments, which a lot of people like, but for us, it didn't work because
we wanted to be able to do ISH.  Also, the Leica limits you to drawers of
ten slides.  So when you load a drawer, with 1 slide or 10, you can't use it
again until that run is finished.  Hope this helps.  If you have any
questions, you can contact me.
Have a great day!

Sheila