[Histonet] Hematology Stainer

Jay Lundgren jaylundgren <@t> gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 14:22:56 CST 2011

Sheila,

     Some pathologists are fine substituting a Wright stain for a Giemsa
stain, some are not.  Although it is becoming more common to see the
terminology "Wright/Giemsa", they are, of course, two different stains.
Vendors sell Wright/Giemsa reagents, but that is a different matter. I have
worked in labs where the smears were brought to the Histology lab, along
with the clot and core, we picked out the best smear for an Iron stain, and
then walked the rest down to Hematology to be put on the Wright stainer.
Other pathologists specify a Giemsa stain.  I would recommend asking your
pathologist.

Sincerely,

Jay A. Lundgren M.S., HTL (ASCP)